by Dr. Stephen Kim
Any homosexual offender, with true repentance and faith in Christ, can be forgiven and reconciled with God (read more here). Love, therefore, is the reason why I write this article. As for the “tone” of this article, my aim is to use a biblical one.
And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. (1 Corinthians 6:11)
With the Supreme Court soon set to make a decision that might radically change the moral landscape of America forever, the issue of homosexuality is presently the front-burning issue in the minds of many Americans. Admittedly, the sinfulness of homosexuality is ultimately determined by the Bible. If moral standards are self-made, then one could go back and forth on this (or any other) ethical issue ad nauseam. However, if our ultimate standard for morality is derived from the Bible (last I checked, we still swear-in our country’s leaders with a Bible), then the debate is rendered futile for God has spoken.
Sadly, however, instead of obeying the Bible, unbelievers will always do whatever their hearts crave. God’s Word is ancillary because they are ultimately wise in their own eyes. Believers, on the other hand, are compelled and obligated to adhere to God’s Word. Churches are now grappling with the issue as vocal supporters from the gay-friendly camp attempt to subjugate Christians to their ideals. Now, more than ever, Christians must not only stand firm in their stance that homosexuality is wrong, but they must also know why homosexuality is wrong.
As with any other sin, homosexuals are called to repent of their homosexuality and put their faith in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. Faith in Christ, repentance of homosexuality, and the stoppage of homosexual activity will ensure a former homosexual’s admittance into heaven (1 Cor 6:11). Hence, a person could be a “former homosexual,” but there’s no such thing as a “Christian homosexual.” Yes, a person could battle homosexual thoughts and desires (much like battling heterosexual, adulterous thoughts and desires), but a practicing homosexual will never enter into heaven (Eph 5:5-6). God’s Word ensures us of that.
10 REASONS WHY HOMOSEXUALITY IS INCOMPATIBLE WITH CHRISTIANITY:
1. AT ITS ROOT, THE PROBLEM IS ATHEISM. There’s no such thing as a “gay Christian” because according to the New Testament, homosexuality is the prime example of the blatant refusal to worship God through Jesus Christ. In fact, by the 30th verse of the first chapter of Romans, the apostle Paul declares that homosexuals are actually “haters of God” (Gk. θεοστυγεῖς). One cannot be gay and Christian because according to Scripture, homosexuality is the end-result of hatred against God and the refusal to worship Him. Or, to put it another way: homosexuality is merely symptomatic of the disease of idolatry. Death and AIDS are not the punishments for homosexuality. Rather, in Romans 1, God informs us that homosexuality is the punishment for atheism. At the heart of homosexuality is the stubborn refusal to worship God. Though all homosexuals intrinsically know that God exists (Rom 1:19) and that homosexuality warrants hell (Rom 1:32), they nonetheless refuse to seek after God and worship Him. As a result, God gives them over to be consumed with the dishonorable flames of homosexual passion. Now, don’t get me wrong: not all atheists become homosexuals. However, all homosexuals hate God (Rom 1:30) and have a worship disorder as their core issue:
Because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen. For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error. (Romans 1:25-27)
2. IT COUNTERMANDS THE GOSPEL. Entire swaths of self-professing Christians are now claiming that one could simultaneously embrace the gospel and homosexual practice. Some teach that as long as one believes in the substitutionary atonement and resurrection of Jesus Christ, then an on-going homosexual lifestyle is a secondary issue that will not determine one’s eternal destiny. This is an incorrect teaching. Do not be deceived, human sexuality is very much a gospel issue that will determine heaven or hell:
• “…men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine, in accordance with the gospel of the glory of the blessed God” (1 Tim 1:10-11).
• In speaking about Corinthian “Christians” who were practicing sin while claiming to be saved and going to heaven, the apostle Paul instructs: “Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God” (1 Cor 6:9-10).
3. GOD VIEWS IT AS AN ABOMINATION. In God’s eyes, all sins are not equally detestable (John 19:11). Certain sins are weightier sins in the eyes of holy God. Sexual sins are worse than certain non-sexual sins (1 Cor 6:18). When it comes to homosexuality, God doesn’t just hate homosexuality—He abominates it.
• “If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them” (Lev 20:13).
• “Understanding this, that the law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who strike their fathers and mothers, for murderers, the sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine, in accordance with the gospel of the glory of the blessed God” (1 Tim 1:9-11).
4. IT IS AN ERROR. We all know that “the parts” do not fit. Plain and simple. Until May 17, 1990, homosexuality was diagnosed as a mental disorder by the World Health Organization (WHO). Sadly, due to much political pressure, that is no longer the case. Yet, it does not change the fact that “the parts” still do not fit. Since there is a Creator, our body parts are to be used according to the Creator’s design. It’s no wonder then, that God calls homosexual activity an “error” (Rom 1:27). The word “error”—when used for homosexual activity—denotes the fact that there is a “correct” way to use one’s sexual organs. A five year-old that cannot quickly put together a two-piece (complementary) puzzle is rightly diagnosed as having an intellectual developmental delay. Amazingly, when it comes to homosexuality, some of America’s brightest intellectual minds are not able to see the act as an error! This inability truly demonstrates sin’s powerful ability to cloud human reasoning.
5. IT VIOLATES NATURAL LAW. Unless an object is used correctly and for its designed purpose, the desired result will not materialize (e.g., no matter how much I want a fully charged battery, unless I properly stick my cell phone charger into the car’s power outlet, my phone’s battery will not charge as intended by the manufacturer). God created and set in motion the laws of physics, chemistry, and biology. An end result of heterosexual sex is often the miraculous production of offspring. In God’s design, children produced through a monogamous, heterosexual marriage depict the perfect picture of the “one flesh” union that God intends for marriage (Matt 19:5). The child produced through heterosexual sex possesses exactly half his chromosomal DNA (twenty-three) material from his mother, and gains his other half (twenty-three) from his father. In the beautiful face of a child, you see that a man and a woman have indeed, become “one flesh.” The child is living proof of the couple’s union. On the other hand, since it violates God’s natural law, homosexual sex will never produce a child.
6. HOMOSEXUAL ACTIVITY DISHONORS ONE’S BODY. Over time, through continual commission of sin, the conscience becomes so seared that it no longer feels shame over morally corrupt acts. American public consciousness over the issue of homosexuality has been seared. Supermarkets now sell gay wedding cards without any sense of shame. Corporate America flaunts her support of homosexuals as if it was a badge of honor.
Yet, though the nation no longer feels shame over homosexuality, the Bible says that the homosexual offender rightfully ought to feel shame. Though the acts might feel pleasurable to the homosexual, homosexual activities dehumanize those who partake in them. It might have been consensual, but God calls it dishonorable and that it is the result of a debased mind:
• “Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves” (Rom 1:24).
• “And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done” (Rom 1:28).
Hence, those with debased minds ought not be allowed to adopt innocent, impressionable children. They should not be allowed to work with young school children. They should not be given civic leadership positions that govern laws concerning ethics and human flourishing (we all vividly remember what the lesbian mayor of Houston did with her powers last year). Nations that agree with God and criminalize “what ought not to be done” (Rom 1:28) are moving in the right direction. Nations that support and legitimize such behaviors are moving toward divine condemnation.
7. IT IS NEVER A PRIVATE ACT. Entire nations have been destroyed by God on account of this sin (Lev 18:24). My job, as a preacher, is to expose hidden works of iniquity and to call them for what they really are—sin (Eph 5:11). Any pastor or spiritual leader who refuses to call the homosexual to repentance gravely incurs God’s judgment upon himself:
If I say to the wicked, ‘You shall surely die,’ and you give him no warning, nor speak to warn the wicked from his wicked way, in order to save his life, that wicked person shall die for his iniquity, but his blood I will require at your hand. (Ezekiel 3:18)
Often times, the homosexual will say, “What I do in private ought to be my business! I’m not harming anyone.” Yet, a secret sin against God is a sin against us all (Joshua 7:25).
The viewing of pornography, for example, can be done in secret; but it unleashes great moral evil upon a society as the minds of men become literally enslaved to sex. Women are objectified and abused as visual props for the satisfaction of lust. Marriages are weakened, spouses become jaded, and children are endangered. Make no mistake, he who watches pornography in his bedroom does not magically become a pure-minded saint in the workplace. The dirty mind carries over. If the eye is evil, then the person’s entire outlook is evil (Titus 1:15). Simply because a sin was done in secret does not mitigate the fact that God’s wrath has been incurred. Furthermore, as his private sins continue to denigrate his soul, his interactions with the rest of society will likewise follow. After all, out of the abundance of his heart, his mouth will speak (Matt 15:18). Finally, with the legalization of gay marriage, gay adoption, and IVF technologies; homosexuality is now impacting us all. When Christian bakers are heavily fined for refusing to bake a wedding cake for a gay wedding, we can be sure that there are societal ramifications for this sin. Everything from public tax laws, to healthcare costs, to long-term living arrangements for minors are now being impacted by homosexuality.
8. IT GOES AGAINST THE TEACHINGS OF CHRIST. One of the more appalling acts of cowardice being committed by gay-supporting pastors in America is their claim that, “Jesus never spoke against homosexuality.” Yet, if Jesus is God in human flesh, then it is logical to believe that Jesus has God the Father’s view on the issue of homosexuality. After all, Jesus Himself stated, “I and the Father are one” (John 10:30). Additionally, with regard to His teachings, Jesus said, “I speak of what I have seen with my Father” (John 8:38). Therefore, in Matthew 19:4-5, when Jesus taught that marriage was only for one man with one woman, He was simply reiterating His Father’s Creation Ordinance for marriage. In giving the prohibition on divorce and remarriage in Matthew 19:9, Jesus was reinstating His Father’s ideal for marriage as law. “Sexual immorality” (Greek, porneia) in Matthew 19:9 was the one exception Jesus gave for divorce and remarriage. The term “porneia” means “illicit sexual intercourse” and covered everything from adultery, incest, homosexuality, and even bestiality (e.g., read Jude 7 to see the word being used to refer to the sin of homosexuality). Hence, if your husband was having sex with a dog, you could divorce him and rightfully remarry. Likewise, if he was having sex with another woman (or man), the spouse could rightfully divorce him and remarry. In such cases, the victim has the right to remarry. The offender must repent and remain celibate for the rest of his life. Needless to say, Jesus certainly did condemn homosexuality as sin, while simultaneously upholding marriage as being only between one man and one woman (Matt 19:4-5).
9. SODOM AND GOMORRAH. These two cities serve as eternal examples for how God feels about the sin of homosexuality (Jude 7). Yes, they didn’t take care of the poor; and yes, they were unconcerned about the needy (Ezekiel 16:49). But those weren’t the primary reasons for their destruction. Contrary to what liberal scholars try to say, Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed for the sin of homosexuality (you can read the entire account in Genesis 19).
Now, if after reading Genesis 19, you’re still thinking, “But what if the liberal scholars are right?” rest at ease. Here is the apostle Jude’s inspired account of why Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed:
“Just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire” (Jude 7).
Hence, definitively forget the liberal scholars with their human analyses. A divinely-inspired New Testament writer has spoken. According to Jude, why was Sodom and Gomorrah destroyed? To serve as an example. An example of what? Of what happens to homosexuals. It’s right there in the New Testament text.
10. GOD HAS DECREED DEATH FOR THE PRACTICING HOMOSEXUAL AND FOR THOSE WHO APPROVE OF HOMOSEXUALITY. “Though they know God’s righteous decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them” (Rom 1:32).
The text couldn’t be any clearer: both those who practice homosexuality, and those who approve of homosexuality are condemned. We can therefore; unequivocally say that homosexuality and Christianity are incompatible. You’re either for one or the other. You cannot be for both.
Please do not let anyone deceive you. If you’re gay, repent and turn to Christ in faith. God can wash you and forgive you through the blood of Christ. And if you’re not gay, then please speak out against homosexuality. Call homosexuals to repentance. Don’t stay silent and certainly, please don’t approve of the sin! Scripture plainly states that both the approver and the offender are demonstrating that they’re not truly saved. In other words, both are headed to hell.
Most of America presently favors homosexuality. Yet, the homosexuals of Sodom are presently undergoing a punishment of eternal fire (Jude 7). They serve as an example and through their judgment, God is mercifully warning you. As Jesus Himself once said, “No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish” (Luke 13:5). Life is very, very short. Please make the right choice.